Assistant Professor of Finance
Owen Graduate School of Management
Tel: +1 (615) 322-8059
Fax: +1 (615) 343-7177
401 21st Ave South
Nashville, TN 37203
Welcome to my website! I am an Assistant Professor of Finance at the Owen Graduate School of Management, Vanderbilt University.
My research focuses on the intersection of human capital and asset-pricing, studying the size and riskiness of human capital, and measuring the effect that human capital has on the riskiness of firms. I also work on innovative instruments for financing education. My book Investing in Human Capital (Cambridge University Press, 2004), which was endorsed by Robert Shiller as “…the authoritative work on the revolution that is under way to integrate human capital into our financial system”, builds the case for using innovative financial instruments based on students’ future earnings to finance education. Lumni, a startup that I co-founded with Felipe Vergara, is a practical implementation of the ideas presented in the book. It currently finances students in Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Perú, and the United States.
I teach Corporate Valuation, Corporate Financial Policy and International Financial Markets to M.B.A. and M.S.F. students.
Curriculum Vitae: cv.pdf
· Human capital and asset-pricing
· Labor economics
· Ph.D. Business Administration — Finance, Haas School of Business, University of California, Berkeley, 2009.
· M.A. Economics, University of California, Berkeley, 2005. Fields: Economic Theory, Labor Economics.
· M.B.A., Darden Graduate School of Business Administration, University of Virginia, 2001.
· B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia, 1997.